Curl Definition Techniques

I’ve been asked quite a few times how I achieve curl definition on my ‘fro, so I decided to share my techniques. My techniques come from a number of sources; suggestion from other people that I’ve either perfected or altered, and experimenting with the way I apply or use products.


Before I get into actually stating my techniques, I would just like to say that all hair is different so some of techniques may work for you, some of them may not but it all comes down to trying and adapting techniques to see what works does!

Technique No. 1: Abandoning the comb, I rarely use a comb or denman brush. I find that when I fingercomb through my hair (wet/damp), I get rid of tangles, shed hair and maintain curl definition.

Technique No. 2: Squeezing excess water of hair rather towel drying. I found that towel drying would frizz and rough up my curls but by squeezing out excess water I could avoid frizz. You can always blot your hair with a towel if you still have excess water.

Technique No. 3: Sectioning, smoothing and raking. I usually section my hair into eight, then either smooth my products in from roots to end or rake them in from root to end – raking is more like fingercombing the product in. The smoothing makes my curls pop and gives them a tighter appearance whereas the raking gives my curls more of a wavy look (might be different for you however).

Technique No. 4: Wet/damp hair, curly hair thrives on water! I always find my hair looks much better when I do it from wet after co-washing. But damp is also cool if you don’t have time to be under the shower head, so you can use a spray bottle with water instead.

Technique No. 5: Twirling – I do this to make some of my curls more uniform because I have numerous textures in my head. And I also I used to do this because I had just bit of hair that didn’t conform at all after I BCed (I think it was scab hair). By twirling I just meaning spinning a lock hair round your finger.

Curl defining products. My number one curl defining product has to be Eco Styler Gel, hands down. Other products I would personally recommend are S-Curl Curl Activator, Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner, Aloe Vera Gel, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner, V05 Moisture Milks Conditioner, Sof’n’Free Curl Activator, Skala Leave-In Styling Cream, Shea Butter.

Regardless of products and techniques, curly hair has the best definition when it’s healthy, well moisturised and conditioned. I hope these techniques help you to achieve definition too.



Do you struggle with frizz or do you find defining your curls easy? 

How do you define your curls? 

Are there any products you think make a real difference? 

Does curl definition even matter to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.. We cherish it...