Jenell’s Braid Out Tutorial

Braid Outs are one of my favorite styles because they give me great curl definition with lots of volume and the best elongation of all stretched styles ever!

I started doing braid outs when I was about 8 months natural and immediately fell in love with them.  Prior to doing my first braid out I would wear my hair in a twist out every single day.  So when I tried my first braid out and saw how much longer my hair was and the beautiful curl definition, I was sold!
Braid outs aren’t hard to do but they do require practice. Like the saying goes, practice makes perfect, right?  In my years of doing braid outs I’ve learned a few things that I tend to think are universal, correct me if I’m wrong.
My Braid Out at 10 Months Natural

WET VS DRY

When doing a braid out you will get the BEST curl definition if your hair is wet to soaking wet. The only problem with styling your braid out on soaking wet hair, is while you enjoy your beautiful curl definition you will have lots of shrinkage.
When doing a braid out you will get the most stretch/elongation if your hair is damp to dry. The only problem with styling your braid out dry hair, is the exact opposite of styling your hair when wet. While you enjoy the length of your hair your curl definition won’t be as defined.

My Braid Out at 28 months Natural

SMALL VS BIG

When doing a braid out you will get the least amount of frizz if you braid in small sections. The only problem with styling your braid out in small sections is that it takes a lot longer to install and you don’t end up with much volume. To compensate for your lack of volume you can separate and fluff your hair. Be careful, if you separate and fluff too much you will lose all the pretty curl definition you took your time creating.
When doing a braid out you will get the most volume if you braid really large sections. The only problem with styling your braid out in large sections is that if your hair is short you will have lots of frizz and your hair might not be as elongated.

My Braid Out at 28 months Natural
You have to decided what works best for you.  The one thing that  I love about Natural Hair is that you can try new things and get new looks and your hair will still look fab! To see how I achieve my Braid Outs check out the video below

Source: kinkycurlycoilme

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.. We cherish it...